COVID-19 and How You Can Stay Green!
by Lizzie Perez on May 21, 2020
With everything going on, you may have forgotten one minor detail: the importance of being eco-conscious. It is easy to get caught up in the thrall of doomsday preppers and fear mongers, but don’t worry! Lizzie is here to provide quick and easy tips you can even do at home.
- Don’t stress about what you can’t control. For example, you CANNOT control the amount of waste produced by large corporations and major industries. You CAN control how much time you spend in the shower, whether you turn the water off to brush your teeth, and how many wipes you use to clean that 3x5’ desk.
- On the subject of wipes, generally, you only need ONE. One wipe to clean the top of your work area. Worried about spreading germs around? Wipe with one side, fold in half so the contaminated part is on the inside, and then wipe again as needed. You should also apply this thought process to toilet paper and paper towels. Do not take ten just to dry your hands. You do not need ten. You need one or two to dry, and one more to grab the door handle (if you are in a public setting).
- Anything you were doing before; you should continue it now. If you are stuck at home, like many, you should continue any green routines you kept before. Continue recycling, continue being water-conscious, continue reusing. Not only will this help your planet, but it will help you. Having a routine can keep you grounded and focused.
- Go outside! Seriously. Go outside and take a moment to appreciate all the green things; count all the different types if you must. Listen to the birds. Studies show that being in green (with plants, don’t cheat and paint your wall green) spaces significantly improves your mental health and overall wellbeing. Besides, you can’t help protect it if you don’t know what’s out there!
- If you have kids, start some arts and crafts projects! Plastic bottles can be cut (with adult help) and turned into jellyfish. Empty toilet paper/paper towel tubes can be converted into rainmakers with some beans, hot glue, and construction paper. Egg cartons can be divided and arranged to make clams (add googly eyes and a pom-pom as a pearl) or personalized ring boxes. You can even scavenge for rocks and paint a new friend!
It’s important that we keep sight of the future; even when so many are telling us to stay rooted in the present. Plants always grow towards the light, and so should we. We should always be searching for that light even if it seems hard to reach. It doesn’t rain forever.
No matter where you live, or what you do, we all play a role in our environment. Instead of making things harder, let’s give a helping hand.